International General Certificate of Secondary Education abbreviated as IGCSE is one of the most prestigious certification for secondary school education by the Cambridge Assessment International Education(CIE), a provider of International certification which offers qualification through examination to more than 10,000 schools across 160 countries.
IGCSE programs are designed for students between the age group of 14 to 16 years old. The popular English language curriculum offers the students more than 70 subjects. IGCSE emphasizes on offering a wide range of subjects to learners, as well as being inclusive to different types of abilities in areas ranging from Arts to Science, also to those students whose first language is not English.
In the following article, you’ll be getting very useful and important knowledge about the IGCSE curriculum and a brief description of online courses. We suggest you to go through the information carefully and aim to plan your studies accordingly.
Who Requires IGCSE Qualification?
A IGCSE qualification is treated as an entry level test for many renowned and leading universities around the world and is recognized as a valuable certificate of achievement by employers. In the United Kingdom, it is equivalent to the GCSE and is treated as a evidence of competence in English Language. So, anyone willing to study in a UK university or any other prestigious college around the world can take IGCSE.
The IGCSE curriculum is prepared in a way that it allows learners to choose from 14 subjects offered to them as IGCSE “core” and take a minimum of 5 subjects, which includes subjects of First Language, Second Language, Mathematics, and one or more from the field of Science. Other than these, a student can also take subjects related to Arts and Technology and Social Science. Thus, the main focus remains on providing flexibility to learners along with excellent educational resources and training courses online and offline.
What Makes The IGCSE Curriculum So Unique?
Although similarities can be drawn between the ‘core’ curriculum of IGCSE and other boards, the main difference lies in its approach to teaching. The curriculum is prepared in order to introduce the students to a wide range of subjects and encourage them to choose between them based on their Interest and abilities. The entire syllabus is designed for an international student body so it’s important to steer clear of any kind of cultural or regional bias. The focus always remains on developing the student’s understanding, knowledge and sharpen their skills in the following areas:
- Flexibility, acceptance and responsiveness to change and ideas.
- Better communication skills in internationally recognized languages such as English.
- Understanding subject content.
- Practical application of theoretical knowledge.
- Understanding of handling of unfamiliar situations and problems.
- Cultural awareness
In this way, IGCSE focuses on building an international outlook in the minds of learners. However, it still tries to retain some regional relevance as well.
IGCSE Courses Online
The IGCSE qualifications are accepted extensively by universities across the globe as a part of their entry criteria. So, to make it easy for learners willing to take admission in these colleges, the opportunity are available through Online courses UK from the open universities. As promised of flexibility and inclusiveness in the very framework of IGCSE curriculum, there is no particular coursework involved. Which means that studying through distance learning couldn’t be any easier now. How it works, is that you’ll study in the comfortable of your apartment through home study courses and then appear for examination at an IGCSE exam centre. These degree from home courses are available throughout UK and internationally. Here’s a list of some of the best IGCSE Schools in UK.
- Ardingly College in South East England.
- Hampton School in Greater London.
- Kind Edward’s School in West Midlands.
- Queenswood School in East of England.
- Bradfield college in South East England.
What Percentage Is Required For IGCSE?
International GCSE does not require any previous entry percentage. IGCSE percentage requirements are none but it is expected from learners to have sound knowledge of the syllabus and reasonable numeracy skills.
How Studying IGCSE Online Works?
There are plenty of free online courses available for learners as well as paid courses from top UK Universities and internationally. To learn online at your own convenience, all you need to do is to find an open university that provides tutor support along with other resources. Let’s have a look at what is it like to study in an Online IGCSE course in brief.
- Many open universities provide learners tutor support to make the learning experience hassle free. In case of any doubt or query regarding the course, you can reach out to your tutor through message.
- The tutor will provide the much needed guidance for such a rigorous exam and will monitor your progress and will give you honest feedbacks.
- You will also get assessments and mock tests to sharpen your preparations.
- Along with various educational resources, you’ll be given previous year question papers and sample paper to practice in the lead up to your IGCSE examinations.
We hope you found the article informative and helpful.